Water Resources Review Committee.
This bill amends the 1921 irrigation district law to:
- Remove inconsistencies and update antiquated provisions;
- Clarify the definition of landowners entitled to receive water, vote in district elections, and serve on the board of directors;
- Update dollar figures and, in subsequent years, adjust for inflation;
- Define 'agricultural land';
- Update election procedures;
- Clarify how irrigation district assessments are collected and held; and
- Modernize procedures for selling surplus property.
The bill also clarifies that water acquired in excess of an irrigation district's own needs can be leased for all beneficial purposes, rather than only for domestic, agricultural, and power and mechanical purposes, and that the provisions of the 1921 irrigation district law are in addition to powers conferred on irrigation districts in other statutes.
(Note: This summary applies to the reengrossed version of this bill as introduced in the second house.)