HB16-1439 - Lodging & Entertainment Facility Liquor License

Passed/Signed into Law
Concerning The Creation Of A New Alcohol Beverage License Under The "Colorado Liquor Code" To Permit A Lodging And Entertainment Facility To Sell Alcohol Beverages By The Drink For Consumption On The Licensed Premises, And, In Connection Therewith, Requiring The Holder Of A Tavern License To Convert The Tavern License To A Lodging And Entertainment License Or Other Appropriate License Under Specified Conditions.

The bill creates a new alcohol beverage license under the "Colorado Liquor Code", referred to as a "lodging and entertainment license", for a lodging and entertainment facility that, as its primary business, provides lodging, sports, or entertainment activities to the public and, incidental to that business, sells and serves alcohol beverages for consumption on the premises.

A lodging and entertainment license would operate similarly to a tavern license in that the licensee:

  • Is authorized to sell alcohol beverages only by the drink to customers for on-premises consumption;
  • Must make sandwiches and light snacks available to its customers during business hours;
  • Must purchase its alcohol beverage products only from a licensed wholesaler, with limited exceptions;
  • Cannot have an interest in businesses licensed under the "Colorado Liquor Code" as a manufacturer, wholesaler, or retail establishment that only sells alcohol beverages for off-premises consumption; and
  • Must have a registered manager for each licensed premises who is responsible for purchasing alcohol beverages for the licensed premises he or she manages.

The bill requires a current tavern licensee that qualifies as a lodging and entertainment facility or qualifies for a different type of license to apply to convert the tavern license to the appropriate license type.

A lodging and entertainment facility licensee is subject to the same state and local annual licensing fees as a tavern, $75 and $500, respectively. Employees of a lodging and entertainment facility who sell alcohol beverages must be at least 21 years of age. A lodging and entertainment facility licensee must post a sign on its licensed premises warning patrons that it is illegal to leave the premises with an alcohol beverage.

Latest update: June 10, 2016
06/10/2016 Governor Signed
05/20/2016 Sent to the Governor
05/20/2016 Signed by the Speaker of the House
05/17/2016 Signed by the President of the Senate
05/10/2016 House Considered Senate Amendments - Result was to Laid Over Daily
05/10/2016 House Considered Senate Amendments - Result was to Concur - Repass
05/09/2016 Senate Third Reading Passed with Amendments - Floor
05/06/2016 Senate Second Reading Special Order - Passed - No Amendments
05/06/2016 Senate Committee on Business, Labor, & Technology Refer Unamended - Consent Calendar to Senate Committee of the Whole
04/29/2016 Introduced In Senate - Assigned to Business, Labor, & Technology
04/29/2016 House Third Reading Passed - No Amendments
04/28/2016 House Second Reading Special Order - Passed with Amendments - Committee
04/26/2016 House Committee on Business Affairs and Labor Refer Amended to House Committee of the Whole
04/12/2016 Introduced In House - Assigned to Business Affairs and Labor