The bill requires all providers of retail electric service in Colorado, including municipal utilities and cooperative electric associations, to develop a grid modernization plan outlining how the provider, over a 10-year period, proposes to make measurable progress toward the following grid modernization objectives:
- Optimizing demand-side management;
- Optimizing supply-side management;
- Achieving advanced metering functionality within 5 years;
- Increasing electric grid reliability by improving integration capabilities for distributed resources; and
- Achieving advanced metering infrastructure functionality within 5 years.