The bill directs the department of public health and environment to conduct an analysis of human health and quality of life within the counties of Larimer, Weld, Boulder, and Adams with the intent of understanding any possible effects of oil and gas operations on communities within these counties. The department must consult with a newly created scientific oversight committee regarding the design and conduct of the analysis and preparation of interim and final reports on the analysis. The analysis will be conducted in 2 stages. Stage 1 will:
- Include a review of existing medical literature from peer-reviewed scientific publications on the effects of oil and gas operations on human health and quality of life;
- Identify conditions of interest that existing medical literature indicates might be related to oil and gas operations; and
- Culminate in a written report due December 1, 2014, and presented orally to committees of the general assembly by January 30, 2015.
Stage 2 will include institutional review board (IRB) approval, surveys, and case studies as follows:
- Tier 1 will include IRB approval by December 31, 2014; mailed and on-line surveys with individuals in the identified communities; and an interim report due January 1, 2016, and orally presented to committees of the general assembly by January 30, 2016; and
- Tier 2 will include IRB approval by February 1, 2016; case-control studies on at least 2 relevant conditions of interest identified in tier 1; and a final report due January 1, 2017, and presented orally to committees of the general assembly by January 30, 2017.